September 1974: Montessori teacher Cynthia Leahy holds the first ever Montessori preschool class between San Jose and Berkeley in a rented classroom at Our Savior Lutheran Church in Fremont, CA.
What started in that rented Sunday school classroom has grown to over 6 locations throughout the East Bay. Cynthia has overseen the education of more then 5,000 children. The family of schools that began with one women in a rented classroom now employs over 100 people and cares for more then 500 students daily.
The Montessori Children's House at 1901 Washington served as the second location for Montessori School of Fremont from 1981-1994. In 1994 demand had risen so high that it forced the Montessori School of Fremont to move to it's larger location down the street at 155 Washington. By 1998 demand was so great that the 1901 Campus was recommissioned to provide additional Montessori education options for families within the Mission San Jose community. Today the Montessori Children's House hosts Preschool and Kindergarten classes in a small intimate school setting, providing that no child is ever overlooked. We hold true to Cynthia Leahy and Maria Montessori's original classroom vision: A home tailored for the child. We are the Montessori Children's House.